Convention Sales Manager
Under general supervision the Senior Convention Sales Manager is responsible for enhancing economic growth in El Paso by marketing, promoting, and selling the destination as the best location for meetings, conventions, conferences, sporting events, tradeshows and special by working closely with meeting planners, event coordinators, events rights holders and organization leadership.
- Responsible for soliciting and booking of group business for El Paso area hotels, meeting facilities and other venues, with a primary focus on securing hotel room nights for the city by researching and gathering appropriate information on target markets to qualify leads and plan an effective sales approach.
- Prospect new clients, business and make contact with associations via various solicitation methods including but not limited to internet research, telephone calls, letters, emails, and personal contacts to research meeting needs and determine department’s role for meeting those needs.
- Meet or exceed individual and team quantifiable goals for prospecting, leads generated, and business confirmed as set by the Director of Sales.
- Produce reports for Director of Sales, including but not limited to sales metrics, quantifiable goal progress, reports requested by city officials/departments, internal reports for Executive Director, President/CEO or Corporate office and as directed on a daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly and annual basis.
- Analyze tradeshow/event participation cost vs benefit to determine best return on investment.
- Utilize the available database systems to identify leads and to keep updated with meeting information.
- Utilize department’s database to maintain accurate and detailed records of prospect leads, new business, sales calls, existing client interaction, and group servicing activity.
- Conduct direct sales efforts through customized convention bids/presentations, targeted sales missions, sales calls, and participation in trade shows and travel industry activity designed to reach consumers and meeting planners as determined by Director/Marketing Plan.
- Produce detailed wrap reports at the end of each travel mission or sales trip. • Make written or in person presentations to boards of directors, convention delegates or site selection committees as directed to secure an organization’s commitment to El Paso.
- Develop and maintain an accurate, up-to-date and comprehensive knowledge of the Greater El Paso area and effectively use this knowledge as a sales tool.
- Develop relationships and build partnerships with local businesses, attractions and hotels relative to El Paso’s hospitality industry. Maintain up-to-date records and communicate regularly to maintain good relationships with the lodging facilities, convention center staff, attractions and other agencies to collect information for maintenance of meeting planner’s guide and other trade publications and website.
- Coordinates and conducts site tours for meeting planners, showcasing facilities and attractions in the El Paso area. Participates in familiarization (FAM) programs for groups of meeting planners from across the region, state, and country; responsible for inviting qualified clients to each FAM.
- Upon completion of a convention/meeting, have immediate contact with individual(s) responsible for decision for returning to El Paso in future year(s).
- Develop and maintain relationships with professional membership organizations, local businesses, industries, institutions and the public at-large to further to goals and mission of Visit El Paso.
- Set up appointments and travel to Austin 1-2 weeks out of the month to visit with key Texas Association meeting planners and delegates.
- Develop and apply creative approaches to promote convention business for El Paso under deadlines to meet sales goals; communicate effectively, both in oral and written form such as when making sales and informational presentations before groups of various sizes or diverse demographics, and when responding to common inquires or complaints from clients for members of the community.
- Represent the Destination El Paso/Visit El Paso in area, regional and state organizations such as El Paso Hotel Motel Association, Texas Association of Convention and Visitors Bureau, Texas Society of Association Executives, Society of Government Meeting Professionals, or other organizations/associations as directed.
- Perform related duties as required.
- Follow oral and written instructions and communicate effectively with others in both in an oral and written form.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of convention sales management and hospitality industry with understanding of marketing, sales techniques and meeting management.
- Strong sales team leadership experience.
- Strong presentation and public speaking skills.
- Remain flexible and adjust to situations as they occur.
- Maintain an effective working relationship with clients, customers, employees and others encountered during employment.
- Organize and prioritize work to meet deadlines.
- Ability to solicit, close and secure business.
- Willing and able to work evenings, weekends and holidays based on client and office demands.
- Must have valid driver’s license.
- 75% out of state and intra state travel required.
- College education or equivalent combination of education and experience y duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position.
NOTE:The essential responsibilities of this position are described under the headings above. They may be subject to change at any time due to reasonable accommodation or other reasons. Also, this document in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position.
This description portrays in general terms the type of levels of work performed and are not intended to be all-inclusive or to represent specific duties of any one incumbent. I understand that my duties are subject to change.
This position offers a competitive salary. Please send a copy of your most recent resume.
Applicants that need reasonable accommodations to complete the application process may contact 915-534-0628.
ASM Global is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, and encourages Women, Minorities, Individuals with Disabilities, and protected Veterans to apply. VEVRAA Federal Contractor